Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Lightning bugs

 {image via Google images}

I saw a craft awhile ago about making your own firefly.  It was so cute!  That made me think back to when I was a kid and catching lightning bugs (as I call them) and putting them in jars.  Ahhh, the good ol' days!  I think I would still catch a lightning bug in my hand, but, I don't think I would touch any other bugs anymore.  Eww!  So, I decided to teach my girls about fireflies this week.  We went to the library on Monday and checked out a few books on lightning bugs.  I figured I would read one a day.  

 I also printed out a few coloring pages for them to color and I talked a little about the firefly; how they glow, where they live, etc.  They probably didn't understand much of it, but, oh well.  Who knew there was a website dedicated to fireflies.  Check out www.firefly.org
Did you know that they are disappearing?  I believe it.  I really haven't seen any in a long time.  Very sad actually.  I hope my girls get to catch lightning bugs in a jar like I did.  Tomorrow, we are making the craft that inspired this learning about lightning bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment